Vo De temple

Van Dinh village, Ninh Phu commune, Ninh Hoa town, Khanh Hoa province

  • Certification: 230826102905
  • Provincial monuments

Vo De Mieu (commonly known as Ong Pagoda) is located in Van Dinh village, Ninh Phu commune, and Thien Hau temple (commonly known as Ba Chua) is located at 338 Tran Quy Cap, Ninh Hiep ward.  In 1814, with the response of the Cantonese Chinese community, Mr. Tan Thanh An was given the right to establish the Guild.

  • Share



Vo De Temple is located in Van Dinh village, Ninh Phu commune, Ninh Hoa town, Khanh Hoa province.

Since ancient times, residents of some provinces in China, because of their business, they had to regularly use sailing boats to carry goods to neighboring countries for trade, commerce, and travel more and more. more crowded, among them, some people went downstream to the South, arrived at ports in Vietnam to exchange goods, buy and sell agro-forestry, minerals... Then, because of the chaos in the country, also Because of their livelihood, some people have chosen this place as their second hometown to settle down and settle down. They often gather in towns and streets for convenience in doing business. Because they have to ask for food, they often set up local councils and guilds to help each other in business, as well as to preserve and promote the culture of their nation. After many ups and downs of the times, the majority of overseas Chinese have gradually settled down and integrated into the local community.

Over many generations, in order to transmit and preserve their culture, the Chinese community has many methods such as: by writing, by voice, by oral stories, or by memory, by clothing. traditions, through funeral practices, weddings, festival rites, etc.

In the 1800s, the overseas Chinese living in Vietnam in general and in Ninh Hoa in particular developed strongly in terms of quantity and improved quality of life. After the life has been stable for a long time, the need for spiritual and religious exchanges is also set. The Chinese living in Ninh Hoa include three main groups: Guangdong, Hainan and Chaozhou states. In Ninh Hoa, the three guilds all have their own Assembly Halls and places of worship. This is both the headquarters for common activities and also a communal house for worshiping and offering sacrifices to the deceased predecessors and friends.

Particularly, the State of Quang Dong Ninh Hoa is managing two ancient temples: Vo De Mieu (commonly known as Ong Pagoda) located in Van Dinh village, Ninh Phu commune and Thien Hau temple (commonly known as Ba Pagoda) located in 338 Tran Quy Cap, Ninh Hiep ward.

In 1814, with the response of the Cantonese Chinese community, Mr. Tan Thanh An was given the right to establish the Guild. The Chiefs of the State mobilized the Guild and fellow overseas Chinese to build Vo De Mieu to worship Lord Quan Thanh De Quan (currently the stele collected in 1814 is still preserved at Vo De Temple).

The temple has the following architectural works: Nghi Mon, courtyard, ceremony hall, main hall, east house, west house, tru house.

The Temple of Vo De worships the following gods: Quan Thanh De Quan, Quan Binh, Chau Xuong, Tai Bach Tinh Quan (Than Tai), Tho Dia, Tao Quan, Tien Linh and some Buddhas.


The main temple of Vo De

Since its construction, the temple has undergone restoration and embellishment as follows:
- In 1954, restored.
- In 1959, the yin and yang tiles were replaced with cement tiles of the lobby roof.
- In 1967, the yin and yang tiles were replaced with western tiles in the main hall and the roofs of the corridors on both sides of the main hall were made of cement.
- In 1983, the main hall was replaced with the hand lever, rafters, and sesame.
- In 1989, the cement roof was replaced with western tiles in two corridors; build dragons on two pillars in front of the temple door.
- In 1993, built the temple gate, built the front wall.
- In 2000, built winter house and kitchen.
- In 2004, rebuilding the wall behind the main hall because it collapsed and replacing a number of levers, rafters, and sesame; ceramic tiles on the wall and floor in the main hall.
- In 2005, expanding the east house.
- In 2007, built more western houses.

Every year, the state of Quang Dong Ninh Hoa organizes the following astral holidays: the ceremony of the Taoyuan twin, the Crown Prince Quan Binh, the Quan Thanh De, the Tai Bach, and the Chau Xuong. The festival attracts many pilgrims, in the warm weather of spring days, not only the Chinese people but also the Vietnamese community.

In particular, every three years in the 7th lunar month, the whole State organizes a concert called "Vu Lan Thang Hoi" to pray for help for the lost ancestors and lost souls at Tue Thanh Assembly Hall of the Cantonese State (i.e. Thien Hau). Temple (also known as Ba Pagoda). Before the opening day, there is a ceremony to celebrate Quan Thanh from Vo De Temple to Thien Hau Temple. After the Trai Dan ceremony is completed, the ceremony to bring him is also held similar to the procession of Ong, which is to bring the spirit and magnetic objects from Thien Hau Temple back to Vo De Temple.

In addition, during the two resistance wars against the French colonialists and the invading US imperialists, Vo De Temple was the site of revolutionary activities, contributing to the victory of the nation and of Khanh Hoa's army and people in particular.

In 2010, Khanh Hoa Provincial People's Committee ranked Vo De Temple as a provincial historical and cultural relic, in Decision No. 2846/QD-UBND dated November 18, 2008.