Phuong Sai communal house

83 Phuong Sai street, Phuong Sai Ward, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa

  • Certification: 230825162907
  • Provincial monuments

In what year Phuong Sai communal house was built, no one knows, but according to the old people, when building the pavilion, it was a thatched roof, built with round wooden pillars and turned to the northeast, taking the Sai River (Coi River) as a building. "pre-primary" and Trai Thuy mountain as "post-mountain" according to the rules of feng shui of the ancients.

  • Share


Phuong Sai communal house is located at 83, Phuong Sai street, Phuong Son ward, Nha Trang city, Khanh Hoa province.

From the center of Nha Trang city, follow Tran Quy Cap street, turn right at the intersection along Phuong Sai street, the communal house is located at 83 Phuong Sai street. It is possible to go to the monument by road transport and from many directions such as Thong Nhat street, Yersin street...

Phuong Sai communal house is a combination of the name Phuong mountain (Phuong Son: fragrant mountain, ie Trai Thuy mountain/hill) and the name Sai river (also called Cui river). Today, the communal house belongs to Phuong Son ward, but in the past, Phuong Sai and Phuong Son wards were Cui wards[1]. According to the Nguyen Dynasty records in the early 19th century, this area was the village of Cui Ward, Phuoc Hai Commune, Xuong Ha Canton, Vinh Xuong District, Dien Khanh Palace, Binh Hoa Town (1808) and in 1832 under King Minh Menh's reign changed Binh Town. Hoa to Khanh Hoa province. Later, it was changed to Phuong Sai village and in 1924 Phuong Sai village was one of the five ancient villages in Nha Trang established as Nha Trang town by the Governor General of Indochina. In 1976, Nha Trang city split the village into two wards Phuong Son (mountain side) and Phuong Sai (river side), taking Phuong Sai street as the boundary.

In what year Phuong Sai communal house was built, no one knows, but according to the old people, when building the pavilion, it was a thatched roof, made of round wooden pillars and turned to the northeast, taking the Sai River (Coi River) as the "Pre-primary" and Trai Thuy mountain as "post-mountain" according to the feng shui rules of the ancients. Around the second half of the 19th century, although the local economic conditions were quite stable, no one in the village's children's educational path was successful, so the old men decided to change the direction of the house from the northeast to the west. Male. In 1955, the communal house was turned back to the old direction of Northeast.

Today, the communal house is built in a 2,248.5m2 campus. From the outside looking at the relic, there are the following work items: Nghi Mon and surrounding wall, Martyrs' memorial stele house, great communal house, Temple of Thien Y A Na worship. , sage house, warehouse, kitchen.

The communal house is roofed with yin and yang tiles, the roof system has an ancient floor, and the patterns of dragon and phoenix embossed to create an ancient relic in the middle of the city. Phuong Sai communal house is beautifully decorated, on the ancient floor, the roof bank, the embankment with embossed plaques of four spirits, four quarters, bats, chrysanthemums, drawings of rich and vivid animal and plant patterns, and The lively unicorn and Nghe mascots easily attract the attention of those who pass through the monument. Inside the communal house, the temple is decorated solemnly and majesty with the diaphragms, couplets, holes, gongs, drums, parasols, etc., adding a quiet but attractive feature amidst the noisy and bustling city space.


Decorative patterns on the neck of Dinh Phuong Sai's floor

The communal house of Phuong Sai village worships Ha Ba, Tho Cong, Cao Cac, Bach Ma, Tien Hien, Hau Hien, heroes and martyrs. In which, Tien Hien is Mr. Mai Thien Tai, who has contributed much effort and wealth to the village. In addition, the relic also has Thien Y temple worshiping Thien Y A Na Dien Ngoc Phi, Long Cung Thanh Mau, Luc Cung Thanh Mau, two Crown Princes and Princesses.

Today, Phuong Sai communal house still preserves 12 ordinations bestowed by kings from the reign of King Tu Duc to the reign of King Khai Dinh.

Over time, the communal house was embellished and restored many times:
In the 19th year of Tu Duc (1866), Mr. Mai Thien Tai mobilized the people to contribute to rebuilding a new communal house about 65 meters northeast of the old one.
Around the second half of the 19th century, the direction of the communal house was changed from the northeast to the southwest.
In 1880, the communal house was restored and repaired.
In the autumn of Tan Ti year (1891), Thien Y temple was built next to the communal house.
In the autumn of Giap Ngo year (1894), the communal house and shrine were restored thanks to the merits of Mr. Mai Thien Thanh.
In the year of the Tiger year 1914, the temple was repaired and worshiped with statues of the Holy Mothers.
In the year of the Snake (1929), the communal house and shrine were restored and repaired.
In 1955, half of the communal house was cut off to build a primary school, moved to the west half and rebuilt in the northeast direction, which is the present communal house and shrine.

When the communal house and temple were completed, the pre-sage house and the guest house were still in the old location, so it was not convenient for worship. In 1968, the pre-sage house was built on the right side of the communal house, along with his kitchen and house.
In 1969, built a ritual gate and a wall around the land of the communal house.
In 1997, built a memorial stele house for martyrs of Phuong Son and Phuong Sai wards.
In 1983, built 03 classrooms for Kindergarten in the right side of land with an area of 09m x 7.7m. In 2003, the People's Committee of Phuong Son ward borrowed this land to rebuild the Kindergarten ; rebuilding the communal house gate due to the expansion of Phuong Sai street.

Every year, Phuong Sai communal house organizes two big worshiping ceremonies in spring and autumn, as people are used to calling "Spring and Autumn two periods". The Spring Festival, also known as worshiping Xuan Ky An to pray for "National Thai People's Peace", takes place on the 22nd and 23rd day of the third lunar month (taking the day of Thap Ba Festival to worship Thien Y A Na, Phuong Sai Temple also organizes worshiping ceremonies. Thien Y) and the Autumn Festival, also known as Autumn Festival, is a ceremony of thanksgiving to heaven and earth, sacred in the first week of September of the lunar calendar, there is a procession ceremony from An Lac Temple at 19 Phan Dinh Giot Street, Phuong Sai Ward. Phuong Sai's family, then the procession is returned to An Lac temple.

Recognizing the typical historical - cultural values of the relic, on August 22, 2007, Phuong Sai communal house was issued by Khanh Hoa Provincial People's Committee Decision No. 1522/QD-UBND classified as a Historical - Cultural Relic provincial level.

[1] In the past, the place name was taken from the main industry in the locality, in this area people had the profession of cutting firewood to sell, so it was called Ward Wood.